Our middle school Spanish program focuses on communication. Students take Spanish four times a week in order to focus on consistent speaking, listening, and language comprehension without sacrificing the teaching of grammar and vocabulary. Our teaching approach maximizes the students’ communication skills. The model is based on working in small groups so the students can practice newly acquired skills together.
A large part of our themes and vocabulary are based on what the students are learning in their classroom. We work on building a strong vocabulary and learn basic phrases.
This is an introductory course for middle school students. The primary goal of sixth grade Spanish is to develop oral proficiency in the Spanish language, as well as reading and writing. Spanish is taught in the context of the Spanish-speaking world with readings and discussions of those various cultures. Class work involves communicative activities, dialogues, music, and paired/group practice. Students also explore geography and culture of the Spanish-speaking countries.
Goals and Objectives
- Introduce themselves and others
- Greet people appropriately
- Listen and comprehend short conversations
- Respond to questions in Spanish
- Talk and describe situations according to the theme in the chapters
- Employ the appropriate word order on a sentence while speaking
- Understand short, simple written texts
- Use appropriate intonation while reading
- Be able to write compositions according to the basic grammar (conjugation of verbs in present tense, likes, dislikes, prepositions, time, location and a variety of common vocabulary used in ordinary situations in the Spanish speaking world).
- Oral presentations from specific topics chapter based.
- Hands on projects
- Use of iPads as a great and fun tool to improve the Spanish language skills
- Research information about interesting facts of the Spanish-speaking countries
- Social Studies: Diversity in the communities of the Spanish-speaking world
- Science: Meteorology skills (the weather in Spanish)
- Kermess: a unique festival common to the Spanish-speaking countries where the whole school community participates.
- Día de los muertos art projects exposition
- Quizzes and tests
- Oral presentations
- Short compositions
- Special projects
- Textbook: Realidades Level A
- Workbook: Realidades Level A
- Realidades web page
- Web pages (used for projects, games and review grammar)
- Document camera
- Cultural related performances are brought to the school community honoring the folklore of the Spanish-speaking countries showing their traditions through music, dances, and artistic presentations in Spanish for the enrichment of the skill community.
- Different cultural groups that present the art of the Spanish community and the spanish language for the enrichment of the skill community.