Social Studies in the primary school has a universal focus on community awareness and global citizenship. Daily interactions provide much of the foundation for social studies as students learn how to work together, navigate conflict, and be a productive member of the classroom and community. The beauty of diversity is explored, and there is a central focus on cultural competency, or the understanding of difference. Studies of people, the community, and how these are related help to connect the social studies curriculum between the grade levels.
Kindergarten students gain an understanding of community awareness by starting small in the classroom and working their way to becoming global citizens. Students learn what it means to be active and responsible participants in society, with specific focuses on environmental awareness, manners, and how self relates to others. Much of the community study involves walking field trips to local services and businesses, learning how people in Larkspur help make it work as a community. Through this study, students learn to recognize traffic signs and make simple maps or 3-D reproductions of their school and community. Students also participate in a self-study of “myself and my family,” learning about heritage and cultural uniqueness in their own families.
Goals and Objectives
- Work together by sharing, taking turns, and taking care of themselves and their possessions with respect
- Build a sense of self and self worth by assuming individual and group responsibility in classroom activities
- Discuss why problems arise and how to deal with them together
- Understand their own Class Agreements
- Exercise body-spatial awareness through daily mindful breath work and yoga
- Explore their neighborhood and the people that work in the school and town community
- Recognize the importance of environmental awareness as global citizens who care for the earth (i.e., reduce, reuse, recycle)
- Develop an awareness of culture, places and people through using all senses
- Explore our own family’s culture and traditions through projects
- Learn basic street signs and structures in their town community
- Explore other countries and the continents by viewing maps
- Investigate local waterways and their landforms